Saturday, September 08, 2012

Grandma Helen

The day after Ben's surgery, my grandmother (Graham) passed away. We knew it was coming but I had hoped to see her again. I will see her again in heaven but I miss her terribly. Not the way she was, but I remember her in all the talks we had in her kitchen or at the assisted living home. She was the closest grandparent I had/have. We grew up walking the block or two from school (both elementary and middle) to her house after school, getting a snack (she always had nutter butter bars, Oreos, juice boxes, cokes - all the stuff we never had) doing our homework and then watching cartoons or playing outside. Once I was 10 or so I would go to her house on Saturdays to help her with house work or grocery shopping or other errands. See, when I was 5 or 6 she was diagnosed with acute rheumatoid arthritis. She told me that her hands went from normal/straight to contracted (fingers folded down almost in a fist) in 2 weeks. She was in constant and extreme pain and had been on all kinds of treatments from gold to steroids to high dose narcotics. She is the strongest person I've ever known (my mom is the second, or maybe they tie). She had good days and bad days and I remember her breaking down in tears in her kitchen from the pain and/or from not getting her hands to do what she wanted. I learned so much from her and drew incredible strength from her. She pushed me more than anyone else and a huge part of who I am and how I function is due to her. I'm glad she was able to meet my kids. She loved Ben so much; her mother's favorite brother was named Benjamin. Gretchen remembers going to visit her.

She didn't want a fuss when she died so we just had a simple graveside service. It was so touching to see the number of people who came out. And their stories of how she touched them, too many to tell. She was a PE teacher in Camden and then kept the books for my grandfather's tire business that my parents now run (and brother Dan works there now). Family is huge and we are blessed to have a close family that gets along so well. Again, that strength comes from her and my grandfather. Miss them so much but thankful for all they gave us.

0 comments: