I started posting on this the other day and deleted it. Maybe we're bad parents. Maybe not so much. Either way, here's what went down...
The three of us went to Peg and Don's house on Sunday to fix a shower door (or so Dave could fix it). We had been outside most of Saturday and most of Sunday afternoon and were hot. The pool is open but still very cold. Probably around 68 or close to it. Still, I think Gretchen and I can handle putting our toes in at the steps at the shallow end to cool off. Works fine. I can barely stand the cold, but Gretchen (once she gets used to it) loved the water. When she looked like she wanted to get in, I decide we've had enough and dry feet off, put shoes back on, etc. By this point, Dave is done with the door (shockingly fast it was) and is skimming the pool with the net thing. Gretchen is over by the swing. I tell Dave I'm going in to hang the towel up and to keep an eye out for Gretchen (not that he wouldn't be doing it anyway, just to be extra careful. Pools can be very dangerous places).
I go in and next thing I know, Dave is standing at the back door, holding Gretchen who is soaked from head to toe, telling me we need some towels. I (running to get the towels) panic, thinking what the h#11 happened? After getting her dried of and calm, the story comes out.
Dave too thought she would enjoy putting her feet in the water. So, go back to her trying to get in. She turns to get in and Dave says no (of course, what would anyone else do?) and she slips trying to correct herself and goes in. She's in the water like 0.2 seconds before Dave has her out but she is wet, and scared. and cold. She was fine, but it scared me to death. I knew we had to be careful when we are out there, but it just goes to show you how fast things can happen. Everyone be careful around pools and any body of water!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Brrrr
at 10:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Exactly... Be careful isn't even enough. Can't let your eyes off of her, especially in case she slips. All is well, though and no harm done. Time to get some swimmies so she can learn to swim like a fish. And respect the water: pool, lake, ocean, tub...
nice catch, dave--and thanks for the reminder!
that'll be polly. you're not bad parents. :)
she calls every body of water "bath" and had to put her feet in the creek "bath" last night on our walk. she doesn't like to be barefoot outside - so it was a quick thing... but this summer when on her own with sandals - i think she'll be in lots of "baths" if i'm not careful.
I think this sounded worse in written form than it did verbally. But still a good reminder to be careful.
It scares me everytime we're outside that Elaina is going to slip into the pool...fortunately she doesn't like the water or pool so she usually steers clear. Yes Dave, good catch! Poor Gretchen...that water was cold!
it is scary but she's fine and you guys were watching her. you're right that accidents can happen in a second around water and some parents are not as diligent as you guys are in watching their children. i know having grandparents with a pool will help her to learn to respect the water.
I have an unhealthy fear when it comes to my kids and pools. And I love the pool! Kyra did this a couple of years ago and Hollie's parent's house - right over into the pool. So scary! I'm glad that she's ok and that Dave was there!
Post a Comment